The mission of the Belpre Police Department is to provide the highest level of service through the enforcement of laws and the protection of life, property and the constitutional rights of all. We will endeavor to meet the present and future needs of the public through a continued partnership with our community.
We will remain dedicated to service and committed to excellence, focusing on the following core values:
We hold ourselves accountable to the highest level of honesty, truthfulness and ethical conduct.
We take pride in ourselves as individuals, our division as a team and our citizens as a community.
We will ensure that all persons are treated with equality, dignity and courtesy.
We are committed to the highest level of professional standards through development of highly trained and motivated employees.
- Work with other local agencies to evaluate and regularly update the public safety response to large-scale emergencies through advance disaster planning and incident command procedures.
- Find innovative ways to get the police department involved in the community (charities, church groups, youth athletics, etc.)
- Continue to increase vocational training opportunities each fiscal year as an investment in the future of the department, as well as to increase staff capabilities and promote professionalism.
- Continually review and update policy and procedures to reflect legal issues and changes as needed.
- Continue automation efforts and the integration of technology designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of delivering police services to the community.
- Research the possibility of establishing a Police Chaplaincy Program to assist with death notifications, provide support for police personnel and create a link between the police and the clergy.
- Promote and encourage support for the development of a county-wide criminal justice computer network that will link all agencies.
- Commit resources to long-range planning to address the future needs of the department – services, staffing, facilities, equipment and technology.
- Implement an awards program for the Belpre Police Department designed to provide recognition for outstanding employee performance and service to the community; also use this forum for recognizing citizens who provide assistance to the Police Department throughout the year.
Always remember that “First things come first”- ours is a people business, which emphasizes public service. While we strive to innovate and be progressive, we cannot lose sight of our primary mission: public safety, crime prevention and reduction, and community service.
Create a mindset about contemporary policing that emphasizes the “business” of public service. We are selling “service,” and seek a high level of customer satisfaction.
Contribute to “creating a better quality of life” for residents, visitors and guests to the City of Belpre through proactive policing with a community orientation.
Integrate community policing strategy into the daily operation of the Belpre Police Department.
Use a proactive approach to crime and crime problems, which emphasize public safety and prevention first, followed by thorough reporting, professional investigation, apprehension and aggressive prosecution of offenders.
Make the City of Belpre a “hard target” for potential criminals, and oppose the paroles of convicted felons to prohibit their early release and return to our community.
Continually strive to lower the crime rate overall each year, with a specific emphasis on crimes involving violence.
Increase traffic enforcement and driver safety education efforts to better manage the traffic volume created by growth.
Use drug education and a positive police image at the elementary school level as a preventive investment in our future.
Encourage ownership of our policing efforts by all departmental personnel. “This is OUR City.”
Chief Ernest D. Clevenger
Belpre City Police Department